Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Flavor of Life

I was thinking, "If I was offered a choice between either a five course meal including: caviar, escargot with garlic butter sauce, a house salad, a nice porterhouse steak, and crem broule or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I would have to eat the same thing that I choose every day for a month, what would I choose?" I decided that I would absolutely choose to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Life reminds me a lot of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, (PB&J ). Life kept simple, that is. I really like and have an appreciation for simple. There are consequences for "good"and "bad" things, so I am told and am sort of beginning to think it, myself. Of course, it depends on how one personally defines consequences, I suppose.

Have you ever been on vacation and got served a five course meal three times each day? I have and I'm here to tell you, while it was going down it was delicious and in my mind good. UNTIL, at the end of the week-long vacation, my pants & shorts didn't fit anymore, as long as I chose to breathe normally. In the end, I was paying the yucky consequences of that "good" food and miserable about it, too.

I don't really remember a time when I felt I ever paid such a price for eating a PB&J. I could, and still can, indulge in one PB&J and my stomach is content and my heart is happy.

Sometimes, my eyes get larger than my stomach and I make or order a lot of food, overriding my better judgement, and once again I am reminded of the consequences of being miserably full, especially since I can't stand the idea of wasting food.

I wander, if I look at everyday circumstances with that same view of keeping it simple, would I smile more? Would I be able to manage my own self better? Would I be more apt to slow down and enjoy smelling the Roses? Would I recognize my everyday blessings more often?

While, for some, a five course meal is manageable and somehow not a threat to their body weight or health, I definitely choose the PB&J to eat and the related simple outlook. Folks are not all the same.

I reckon, one thing that I believe is real important is that when I'm making moment to moment choices, I want to make sure to keep it as simple as possible and still be able to indulge in the sweet flavor of life.

Until next time,
Peace and PB&J

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful post, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put!! I too could eat and be thuroughly happy with a PB&J!

    ReplyDelete